Why Your Dream Home is Surprisingly Closer Than You Think
But even after we buy the "perfect" house, we plan improvements. From the entry hall to the mud room, we find details to tweak.
In the past, I've purchased paint and flooring, a French door and a wood stove, plus a gift shop's-worth of décor – and I still wasn't quite as satisfied as I wanted to be.
My method was flawed.
Don't get me wrong. I believe beauty is important, but so are ease and comfort. I kept buying things for my house, but never thought about the cumulative effect of all those possessions.
Besides, it's the quality of life inside the house that makes all the difference.
The most exquisite palace in the world can be a scene of misery, and a small and simple dwelling can hold great happiness. (You know this is true.)
Pretend you've already done the work.
- You've created a wardrobe of clothes that fit and flatter in place of a closet crammed with items that don't suit your current style or lifestyle.
- You have plenty of useful counter space instead of a kitchen and bathroom crowded with bottles, appliances, and knickknacks that get in your way.
- You enjoy a few beautiful and meaningful ornaments instead of walls, shelves, and tables full of dusty tchotchkes.
- You've designed accessible storage for tools and supplies you use on a regular basis, with plenty of room to park a vehicle, in place of a garage piled high with never-opened boxes.
- You can find a stamp, your tweezers, or a working flashlight with ease, exactly where you expect them to be.
In fact, everything you own is easy to retrieve and put away again.
Can you picture it? Your house looks great, and daily life is easier, calmer, and leaves you with more time and energy to spend on activities that bring you fulfillment.
I guarantee that new furniture or flooring isn't going to give you this much long-lasting satisfaction.
Design your dream house.
Wherever you're living right now, you can make it more like your dream home, beginning with the newly revised and expanded edition of Uncluttered, available now on Amazon in Kindle eBook and beautiful paperback editions.*
* This blog is reader-supported. When you buy through my links, I may earn a small commission.
Uncluttered is a comprehensive handbook for a simpler life – not a one-size-fits-all approach, but a creative, encouraging, multi-faceted guide to help you
- remove the stuff that's bogging you down
- uncover a cleaner, more spacious home that welcomes and supports you
- escape the consumer treadmill
- overcome bad habits and practice better ones
- highlight your favorite belongings and memories
- find time for what you care about
- discover focus and peace
From tomorrow, Saturday August 6 at 12:00 a.m. PDT until Sunday, August 7 at 11:59 p.m. PDT, the Kindle version of the revised and expanded edition of Uncluttered will be available for free. I know some of you have the older edition, so I want you to have the opportunity to get this revised and expanded edition now. I promise this one is even more useful. 😊