11 Reasons to Clear Your Clutter Today
11 benefits gained by decluttering
1. Save time.
Have more time every day to do things you enjoy more than managing your home.
- A clutter-free home makes it easier to find what you need when you need it, without fruitless searching.
- Because everything has a place to belong, it's easier to see when you need to restock or replace something.
- Owning less stuff makes your home quicker and easier to keep clean.
2. Save money.
You shop less when you become conscientious about maintaining a clutter-free space.
- You stop buying things you don't need.
- You save on containers and other organizing systems because you have less to store.
- You save money every time you don't buy something simply because you can't find it – even though you think you have that thing somewhere. (No more going out to buy packing tape, Lysol, or pimiento-stuffed olives only to find you already have three or four half-used rolls, cans, or jars.)
- You stop renting storage space (and maybe even move to a smaller home) when decluttering helps you realize you don't need so much room after all.
3. Feel more calm and in control.
4. Feel good in everything you wear.
A stuffed closet and "nothing to wear" is a common complaint, because rather than figuring out our best sizes, styles, and colors, we just buy something new. We buy what's trendy or what's on sale whether it's right for us or not. A pared-down wardrobe of your favorites that fit and flatter makes getting dressed easy.
5. Get out the door more easily.
6. Find more focus.
7. Improve your child's life.
Related article: The 20 Toy Rule
9. Park your car.
10. Help others.
11. Sell your home for more.
- remove the stuff that's bogging you down
- uncover a cleaner, more spacious home that welcomes and supports you
- escape the consumer treadmill
- overcome bad habits and practice better ones
- highlight your favorite belongings and memories
- find time for what you care about
- discover focus and peace
* This blog is reader-supported. If you purchase through my links, I may earn a small commission.
Updated July 2022