Ten First Steps to a Simpler Life
1. Visualize your pared-down life.Take a break with pen and paper and make a list of three to five things that would change if you embraced minimalism. Would you have
- a living room that's ready for relaxing and socializing?
- a kitchen with clear counters ready for cooking and baking?
- a polished table ready for dinner or a family board game?
- a bedroom that's private and restful?
- a bathroom that's spa-like?
- fewer but better toys that your kids can put away on their own?
- fewer but better clothes that fit and flatter and make getting dressed a pleasure?
- a calendar with some empty slots for down time or spur-of-the-moment creativity?
- a balanced budget, with a plan for getting out of debt?
- or some other improvement in your day-to-day life?
2. Make your bed.
3. Create one minimalist area.
4. Donate duplicates.
5. Go deep.
9. Drop it.
10. Pack for disaster.
- medications, glasses, hearing aids, etc.
- important papers (these should fit in one file box)
- phone and laptop, charging cords
- wallet/purse, keys
- a change of clothes, some extra underwear and socks
- the same for your kids
- pet carrier/leash, food and water bowls, litter box